Baja Fish Taco Bowls with Red Cabbage & Green Apple Cilantro-Lime Slaw
- 1 tilapia fillet
- 1 radish
- 1/4 c white vinegar
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
Apple Cabbage Slaw
- 1/2 c thinly chopped red cabbage
- 1/2 of a granny smith apple // julienned
- 1/4 c plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. helmann's real mayonnaise (do not sub miracle whip)
- 1 tbsp. (packed) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- Thinly slice your radish and let soak in vinegar while you prepare the rest.
- Mix all the spice rub spices in a small dish.
- Cut your fillets in half along the centre fold, and then each piece in half again across to create 4 rectangular pieces.
- Place them on a plate and start sprinkling the spice mixture evenly on each piece, while rubbing to coat all sides (be careful at first to not run out of the spice mix - just lightly sprinkle them on each side and once almost completely covered use the rest to get the bare spots and the edges) I had just enough spice mix to completely cover all 4 pieces. Set aside to make your slaw.
- Mix the yogurt, mayo, lime juice, cilantro and garlic powder.
- In a bowl with your cabbage and green apple, add the cilantro sauce by the spoonful until satisfied with the amount (you can use any leftover as added sauce in your bowl if you wish!)
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add your tilapia once the oil is hot, and fry each piece on both sides for about 2-5 minutes, until blackened.
- Slice your avocado, and flavor with a squeeze of lime or lemon juice, and a sprinkle of salt & pepper.
- Prepare 2 serving bowls with 2 romaine lettuce leaves in each. Lay the fish, and then the slaw. Tuck in your avocado slices, and top with your radish slices that have been sitting in vinegar and should be a pretty shade of pink.